We live in an age when people profess to serve God, but their lifestyle is in direct contrast, and they think it’s ok. Their actions say they can live the way they want, and oh yeah, “I’m still saved”! However, scripture paints a different picture.
And why call ye me, Lord, Lord, and do not the things which I say? KJV
Not everyone that saith unto me, Lord, Lord, shall enter into the kingdom of heaven; but he that doeth the will of my Father which is in heaven. KJV
22 Many will say to me in that day, Lord, Lord, have we not prophesied in thy name? and in thy name have cast out devils? and in thy name done many wonderful works?
23 And then will I profess unto them, I never knew you: depart from me, ye that work iniquity. KJV
The problems with the doctrine of Eternal Security other than being non-biblical:
· Why attempt to live a holy life if you’re eternally secure?
· Why should I attend church?
· Why should I read the bible?
· Why should I pray?
· Why not go back to my old lifestyle, if I can’t lose salvation?
· The doctrine of Eternal Security encourages sinful living and a false assurance.
· Many in practice do as they please and still believe they are saved.
· Jesus taught a forsake all, and follow me doctrine; bittter and sweet water can't flow out of the same fountain, and we can't serve two masters at the same time.
The bible simply does not teach Eternal Security. No one can trace the doctrine of Eternal Security to the teachings of Jesus or his disciples. Many people spend much time studying philosophies originating from origins other than what the Apostles actually taught the church to follow.
John Calvin (1509 – 1564) who furthered the idea of Eternal Security; was not the first to explore the idea but found the philosophy loosely stated in the doctrines of St. Augustine (354—430).
He was a Catholic and is responsible for much of what is considered "Catholic" doctrine today. Surprisingly, he can also be credited with being a major player in Protestant thought also. The trail ends with St. Augustine and does not have any endorsement of the early Church Fathers that preceded him. What should be alarming to Protestants today; Jesus did not teach such a doctrine and neither did his disciples.
Paul said concerning doctrine:
· Gal 1:8
But though we, or an angel from heaven, preach any other gospel unto you than that which we have preached unto you, let him be accursed. KJV
Luke recorded this great event:
· Luke 24:44-45
44 And he said unto them, These are the words which I spake unto you, while I was yet with you, that all things must be fulfilled, which were written in the law of Moses, and in the prophets, and in the psalms, concerning me.
45 Then opened he their understanding, that they might understand the scriptures,
· The Apostles had a clear understanding, and was not confused; God himself had opened their understanding concerning scriptures. The attitude of the Apostles was that if anyone preached anything other than what was first delivered to them; the church was to reject it as in Gal 1:8 "But though we, or an angel from heaven, preach any other gospel unto you than that which we have preached unto you, let him be accursed."
Can I lose my salvation?
Matt 25:8-12 (Ten Virgins)
8 And the foolish said unto the wise, Give us of your oil; for our lamps are gone out.
9 But the wise answered, saying, Not so; lest there be not enough for us and you: but go ye rather to them that sell, and buy for yourselves.
10 And while they went to buy, the bridegroom came; and they that were ready went in with him to the marriage: and the door was shut.
11 Afterward came also the other virgins, saying, Lord, Lord, open to us.
12 But he answered and said, Verily I say unto you, I know you not. KJV
· In the old Jewish marriage traditions, the bridegroom would become engaged to a woman, and he would tell her, “I’m going away to prepare a place for you”, upon his return, no matter how long he was gone she kept herself ready, for at any time he could arrive and the wedding festivities would begin immediately. In Jewish tradition, the engaged woman could use the man’s name without yet being officially married; there were benefits associated with the contract. She was very careful for it to never even be rumored that she was unfaithful, just in case a family member of the groom was to hear of her unfaithfulness.
· If she wasn’t anticipating his return, and had been unfaithful to her vow of engagement, she was rejected as his bride.
· This parable warns us to keep the oil of the Spirit full in our hearts at all times, and for us to be fully prepared to be raptured; for at any time the bridegroom should come for his church.
· The foolish virgins allowed their oil to run dry…sadly they were without oil at his arrival and didn’t know it. …they knocked saying open the door, but the bridegroom answered, “I know you not”.
· At one time, all ten had full lamps, and all went to meet the bridegroom, but only five kept themselves ready.
Luke 15:24 (Prodigal Son)
For this my son was dead, and is alive again; he was lost, and is found. And they began to be merry. KJV
· When he left the Fathers house he was a dead man walking while in the pig pen…he was dead, but when he came to his senses, realized his mistake and went back to the Fathers house…he was then alive again.
PROPONENTS OF ETERNAL SECURITY:
28 And I give unto them eternal life; and they shall never perish, neither shall any man pluck them out of my hand. KJV
· This verse is actually in response to verse 12 earlier in the chapter when Jesus was speaking of hirelings, and wolves in sheep’s clothing.
· [Shall any] The word "any" refers to any power that might attempt it.
· [Pluck them] In the original to rob; to seize and bear away as a robber does his prey. Jesus holds them so secure and so certainly that no foe can surprise him as a robber does, or overcome him by force.
· [My hand] The hand is that by which we hold or secure an object. It means that Jesus has them safely in his own care and keeping.
· Simple verse explanation: nothing exists that is able to remove the Spirit of God from us, except we pull away from the mercy of God ourselves. We are the only ones with the free-will, and God will not go against our free-will and make us serve him.
· God appeals to us to serve him, and never will hold us hostage against our will.
· Rev 3:18-22
18 I counsel thee to buy of me gold tried in the fire, that thou mayest be rich; and white raiment, that thou mayest be clothed, and that the shame of thy nakedness do not appear; and anoint thine eyes with eyesalve, that thou mayest see.
19 As many as I love, I rebuke and chasten: be zealous therefore, and repent.
20 Behold, I stand at the door, and knock: if any man hear my voice, and open the door, I will come in to him, and will sup with him, and he with me.
21 To him that overcometh will I grant to sit with me in my throne, even as I also overcame, and am set down with my Father in his throne.
22 He that hath an ear, let him hear what the Spirit saith unto the churches. KJV
A PERSON SHOULD NOT PROFESS A GODLY LIFESTYLE AND LIVE ANOTHER, AND EXPECT TO STAY IN RIGHT STANDING WITH GOD.
ROM 6:16 Know ye not, that to whom ye yield yourselves servants to obey, his servants ye are to whom ye obey; whether of sin unto death, or of obedience unto righteousness?
No servant can serve two masters: for either he will hate the one, and love the other; or else he will hold to the one, and despise the other. Ye cannot serve God and mammon. KJV
11 Doth a fountain send forth at the same place sweet water and bitter?
12 Can the fig tree, my brethren, bear olive berries? either a vine, figs? so can no fountain both yield salt water and fresh. KJV
· A person can’t manifest a life of sin and righteousness at the same time…it’s one or the other, but not both at once.
If ye love me, keep my commandments. KJV
· Apparently the opposite is true if someone doesn’t keep his commandments.
21 For if God spared not the natural branches, take heed lest he also spare not thee.
22 Behold therefore the goodness and severity of God: on them which fell, severity; but toward thee, goodness, if thou continue in his goodness: otherwise thou also shalt be cut off. KJV
· If we continue serving the Lord, we won’t be cut off, as were the chosen people of God were cut off when they backslid.
When the unclean spirit is gone out of a man, he walketh through dry places, seeking rest; and finding none, he saith, I will return unto my house whence I came out.
25 And when he cometh, he findeth it swept and garnished.
26 Then goeth he, and taketh to him seven other spirits more wicked than himself; and they enter in, and dwell there: and the last state of that man is worse than the first.
27 And it came to pass, as he spake these things, a certain woman of the company lifted up her voice, and said unto him, Blessed is the womb that bare thee, and the paps which thou hast sucked.
28 But he said, Yea rather, blessed are they that hear the word of God, and keep it. KJV
· A person can be delivered from unclean spirits, and then be re-inhabited if they don’t stay faithful in their relationship with the Lord.
2 Peter 2:20-22
20 For if after they have escaped the pollutions of the world through the knowledge of the Lord and Saviour Jesus Christ, they are again entangled therein, and overcome, the latter end is worse with them than the beginning.
21 For it had been better for them not to have known the way of righteousness, than, after they have known it, to turn from the holy commandment delivered unto them.
22 But it is happened unto them according to the true proverb, The dog is turned to his own vomit again; and the sow that was washed to her wallowing in the mire. KJV
· It appears a person can be delivered from the pollutions of the world and then go back to them.
4 Thou hast a few names even in Sardis which have not defiled their garments; and they shall walk with me in white: for they are worthy.
5 He that overcometh, the same shall be clothed in white raiment; and I will not blot out his name out of the book of life, but I will confess his name before my Father, and before his angels. KJV
· If we are overcomers our name will remain in the book of life…if we don’t prevail, then it can be removed.
1 Cor 9:27
But I keep under my body, and bring it into subjection: lest that by any means, when I have preached to others, I myself should be a castaway.KJV
· Paul felt after preaching to others, he himself could fail and be rejected by God.
And ye shall be hated of all men for my name's sake: but he that endureth to the end shall be saved.KJV
· A person who simply quits serving the Lord will not be saved.
16 Ye shall know them by their fruits. Do men gather grapes of thorns, or figs of thistles?
17 Even so every good tree bringeth forth good fruit; but a corrupt tree bringeth forth evil fruit.
18 A good tree cannot bring forth evil fruit, neither can a corrupt tree bring forth good fruit.
19 Every tree that bringeth not forth good fruit is hewn down, and cast into the fire.
20 Wherefore by their fruits ye shall know them. KJV
· The Lord expects us to be profitable, otherwise cast into the fire or hell.
1 Cor 6:9-11
9 Know ye not that the unrighteous shall not inherit the kingdom of God? Be not deceived: neither fornicators, nor idolaters, nor adulterers, nor effeminate, nor abusers of themselves with mankind,
10 Nor thieves, nor covetous, nor drunkards, nor revilers, nor extortioners, shall inherit the kingdom of God.
11 And such were some of you: but ye are washed, but ye are sanctified, but ye are justified in the name of the Lord Jesus, and by the Spirit of our God. KJV
· These things are meant to be part of our past, and not part of our future. If these sins are a way of life…it’s the way we live, then we will not inherit the kingdom of God.
They on the rock are they, which, when they hear, receive the word with joy; and these have no root, which for a while believe, and in time of temptation fall away. KJV
· They believed and in time fell away. They had once known the mercy of God, and went back to their old ways of sin. It can’t be said they never had experienced salvation, because they did.
From that time many of his disciples went back, and walked no more with him. KJV
·They were called disciples because they had been believers at one time, and then no more.
Holding forth the word of life; that I may rejoice in the day of Christ, that I have not run in vain, neither laboured in vain. KJV
· It’s possible to run the race for a while, and then become unprofitable.
1 Cor 15:2
By which also ye are saved, if ye keep in memory what I preached unto you, unless ye have believed in vain. KJV
· It’s possible to have been saved, and then become useless.
2 Tim 4:10
For Demas hath forsaken me, having loved this present world, and is departed unto Thessalonica; Crescens to Galatia, Titus unto Dalmatia. KJV
· Demas had experienced salvation and forsook if.
26 When a righteous man turneth away from his righteousness, and committeth iniquity, and dieth in them; for his iniquity that he hath done shall he die.
27 Again, when the wicked man turneth away from his wickedness that he hath committed, and doeth that which is lawful and right, he shall save his soul alive. KJV
1 I am the true vine, and my Father is the husbandman.
2 Every branch in me that beareth not fruit he taketh away: and every branch that beareth fruit, he purgeth it, that it may bring forth more fruit.
3 Now ye are clean through the word which I have spoken unto you.
4 Abide in me, and I in you. As the branch cannot bear fruit of itself, except it abide in the vine; no more can ye, except ye abide in me.5 I am the vine, ye are the branches: He that abideth in me, and I in him, the same bringeth forth much fruit: for without me ye can do nothing.
6 If a man abide not in me, he is cast forth as a branch, and is withered; and men gather them, and cast them into the fire, and they are burned. KJV
· If a person doesn’t abide in God, then that person will be cast into the fire.
Remember therefore from whence thou art fallen, and repent, and do the first works; or else I will come unto thee quickly, and will remove thy candlestick out of his place, except thou repent. KJV
And if any man shall take away from the words of the book of this prophecy, God shall take away his part out of the book of life, and out of the holy city, and from the things which are written in this book. KJV
· After a man has had his name written in the book of life, and he then begins to change the gospel of Christ, he is then taken out of that book and loses the chance to enter heaven altogether.
6 I marvel that ye are so soon removed from him that called you into the grace of Christ unto another gospel:
7 Which is not another; but there be some that trouble you, and would pervert the gospel of Christ.
8 But though we, or an angel from heaven, preach any other gospel unto you than that which we have preached unto you, let him be accursed.
9 As we said before, so say I now again, If any man preach any other gospel unto you than that ye have received, let him be accursed. KJV
But your iniquities have separated between you and your God, and your sins have hid his face from you, that he will not hear. KJV
· We can be separated from God, after being one with God.
21 Because that, when they knew God, they glorified him not as God, neither were thankful; but became vain in their imaginations, and their foolish heart was darkened. KJV
· A person can know God, but their heart can become darkened and full of sin again.
15 I know thy works, that thou art neither cold nor hot: I would thou wert cold or hot.
16 So then because thou art lukewarm, and neither cold nor hot, I will spue thee out of my mouth. KJV
· A person who has become lukewarm is not desirable to God, but becomes rejected.
2 Peter 1:10
Wherefore the rather, brethren, give diligence to make your calling and election sure: for if ye do these things, ye shall never fall: KJV
·So, it’s possible to fall.